Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Houston We Have A.....

DIAGNOSIS!!!!

I got in to see my rheumy this morning because my pain the past two days has been HORRIBLE and they didn't want me to have to wait until the 19th.  He has diagnosed me as having Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy.  I can barely pronounce it, but it's what my doctor thinks I have.  I will from here on out refer to it as USpA.  You can read about it here, but basically I get the impression that it's a seronegative (meaning I don't have the positive rheumatoid factor in my blood tests) rheumatoid variant arthritis.  It is chronic, but seems to be fairly easy to treat.

I'm now going to be taking a drug called Plaquenil twice a day.  It's a slow-acting drug, but it's the "least toxic" of the drugs we can try, so we'll start with it.  I might not see results for 2-6 months.  (ugh)

He saw a lot of inflammation in my scans and I also have osteopenia (so I will be taking Caltrate).  I have a vitamin D deficiency so I'll be taking lots of vitamin D for a while.  I will continue to take the Lyrica three times a day, Arthrotec twice a day, as well as that stomach medicine that I can't ever recall the name of.  Oh...I also have an h. pylori infection that I have to go see my GP to get taken care of. 

LOVELY, eh?  Should be a fun journey.

But at least I have an answer.  And a plan.  And I'm going to take a nap now.

Thank you for all the support.  It means the world to me!!

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes just having a name helps, doesn't it? I hope the meds help you out even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful news that you have a diagnosis and it is relatively easy to treat! You sound so much more hopeful!
    kellee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth Ann,
    so glad you have a tag for it now. don't hesitate to be aggressive in seeking relief for your symptoms. It's not RA, but can be just as painful and debilitating and uses some of the same drugs even if the inflammation spots are a bit different from RA. I hope you will be feeling some relief soon!
    Hugs, Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a relief to not have to say "I don't know" when people ask what's wrong. I pray that the meds work quickly and this whole experience of trying to diagnose and help you is a distant memory soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth Anne,

    I am glad to hear that you finally have an answer. I am sorry that is something so rare, but the answers will go, one day at a time. Knowing at least gives you some comfort. I have Plaquenil for RA in combination with Sulfzazine and Humira. I take Gabapentin for FMS.

    I am looking forward to hearing you blog about feeling better.

    Come by check out Arthritis Connect (arthritisconnect.com) when you have oppurunity. I am PA there.

    ReplyDelete